Monday, July 15, 2013

Music Playlist, July 15th

I'm a music junky.  I will listen to basically anything that isn't heavy metal or rap (and even those are negotiable), so my life revolves around what's on my iPod and the music I'm relating to in the course of any given day.  Every now and then, I'll be posting a list of 5-10 songs that are on my mind.  Some of the lists will be themed, others will just be random.  So Google away, and I hope you find some new music that you love!
This is not me.  I am not that photogenic.


1. "Love to Burn" by Cory Lee/Alexz Johnson - This is a great song with a sultry R&B/jazz sound.  From the Canadian TV show "Instant Star," the song was originally sung in season three by the main character, played by Alexz Johnson.  On the soundtrack, however, the song is done by a co-star, Cory Lee.  I am of course biased towards Johnson's version as it was the original and plays a great part in an on-screen romance, but the song fits Lee's voice perfectly.  Perfect for: when you've got a guy that won't commit, you're looking for a bedroom soundtrack, or you're in the mood for romance.

2. "Drink, Swear, Steal, and Lie"  by Michael Peterson - Straight from the '90s, this song is one of those upbeat, not-really-mushy love songs.  The title might be a little deceptive, but that's because the lyrics are just a little bit punny.  For an English geek like me, that little bit of language humor is a real grab.  Perfect for: dancing around with the mop when you're supposed to be cleaning.

3. "1980" by Rehab - Full disclosure, this is a rap song (I said it was negotiable), and I've been listening to it pretty much nonstop since I got back from my vacation at the end of May.  When you find it online, it will say explicit, but the only explicit language is one use of "shit" and one use of "ho" BUT in the context "she ain't no ho." (I know, my grammar senses are tingling).  Overall, this is one of the cleanest and most positive mainstream rap songs I have ever heard, which is why I can stand to listen to it.  It's a love song, and a sweet one at that.  Plus, Rehab gets tons of credit from me for being able to use the phrase "pizzazz and jazz" in a rap song.  Perfect for: people who like the rhythm and beat of rap but can't stand the violence and misogyny that usually comes with.

4. "Perfect Day" by Lady Antebellum - Title pretty much says it all, plus this group is hugely on top of the music world right now.  Perfect for: anyone who needs a reminder to slow down and/or enjoy the little things in life.

5. "Blinded" by Third Eye Blind - Okay, so this song has a fair amount of innuendo, and it's all about a couple with on-off sexual issues, but I really like it.  It's totally '90s and has a great beat.  And, honestly, every girl wants a guy to be this enraptured by her.  Perfect for: scratching that nostalgia itch.

What are the songs filling your ears this week?  Share in the comments - I'm always looking for new music!

No comments:

Post a Comment